I say almost because after 3 hours and about 500 miles, I finally got a new badge. I know, you are thinking that wasn't too bad at all! But then you may not know that I have been trying to get this badge for three weeks and the three hours was just today! I think it is easier to get a Chinese driver's license. I almost hate our badge office worse than the DMV, but not quite. It's actually not the badge people's fault--it is congress' fault. OK, not really, but someone should shoulder the blame for the unholy amount of bureaucracy that it takes to get something as simple as an ID badge. Here are some quotes from my almost wild goose chase.
- I can't sign that form. (Really, even though it has your name written on it?)
- You have to send that to me electronically. (Then why did you give me a paper copy?)
- Your new office has to fill it out.
- Your old office has to fill it out.
- You need another form of ID. (Seriously! Other than the one you issued me only two years ago that has my picture on it and matches what you have in the computer AND my fingerprint?)
- I don't make the rules.