Friday, September 19, 2014

Aarrgh.

So today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day and I know you are all participating and saying things like Ahoy, Matey! And shiver me timbers! And I'm the captain now! Oh wait, that last one you should save for talk like a Somali Pirate Day, which to be fair to pirates around the world, we celebrated at work, too. Some of us sounded like Captain Jack Sparrow movie, some of us like Somalis, and there was one guy who can only do a Russian accent, but since Russia is acting like a bunch of pirates stealing peoples land and stuff, that was kind of appropriate, too.


So I was thinking it was a pretty good day until Child 3 called and said she lost her school election, which made me sad because she had some great ideas. And then bidding. See the problem with bidding is that it stinks, worse than a pirate on a 6 month voyage with no shower. It's all a shell game and I suck at those because I'm too lazy to follow the right shell all the way through. If only they valued a great sense of humor and the ability to blog about nothing, then I would so have a shot at a great job. But no, it's things like being able to be diplomatic that gets you a job. So since I have a tendency to say things like that's the stupidest idea I ever heard and I'm not going to do that, I have a slight disadvantage. OK, I'm not quite that blunt and I've never actually said that at work to anyone but Husband, but I'm not a kisser upper, either. I want people to like me because I'm great at my job, not great at schmoozing. And I hate to say it, but the schmoozers still have an advantage in this business. Husband is confident we will get something good, and by "we" he means he and maybe I can telework. I'm not so very happy with that plan. If only I could find a job where I could get paid to talk like a pirate. Yer all a bunch o scallywags and I be tellin ye so! Make them bidders walk the plank!

After the election loss and the bad bidding news, I was kind of in a daze, and I took the bus home. That would normally be fine except I drove to the metro today so this evening when we went to get in the car to go to dinner to cheer up Child 3--no car. Husband asked me where I put it and I was completely confused. And totally still do not remember driving to the metro. So we drove Child 1's car to dinner and then he made me get out at the metro and drive it home. So I'm going to bed. Sorry. too tired for piratey things. Tonight I really am the Pirate who doesn't do anything. Anyone have some cheese curls and rootbeer? (Children, please tell me you get that reference.)

You know what is not better than a brownie? Killing the very people who have come to help you. I have not been to Guinea yet, but I have some very good friends who have served there. They all really, really love the people and have good things to say about them. Many people in the Department, including me, are working very hard to support those countries affected by the Ebola epidemic through this crisis. But we can't help if ignorance triumphs over knowledge. So to the wonderful people of Guinea, we are so sorry for all your many losses during this epidemic and please let us help you through the crisis. And to the families of those who died, our hearts are with you and are broken at the loss of these eight heroes. This is a photo of one of them, Pastor Moise Mamy pictured here with his wife, Nowei.




No comments:

Post a Comment