Monday, August 26, 2013

Smoke and happiness

We set dinner on fire happily tonight. OK, not really. It was cool enough for the fire pit, so Child 3, who was in charge of dinner, said we should roast hot dogs and we did. They were delicious. But for those of you interested in chemistry, apparently soot stains melmac permanently. So since we learned from the blackend plates last time, this time we used paper which have the advantage of being easy to clean up, especially if you just throw them in the fire. Now we all smell like smoke and roasted hot dogs and I love it. No, we did not do this because a) our rake is plastic and b) I think we left it in Asia. But it is a good idea if you have a lot of people to cook for. We only had six hot dogs total, so that would be a little overkill.


You will all be happy to know that I now have most of the systems I need at work. Or at least I have all the ones that everyone else has. We are still missing two big ones, but since no one has them, we're limping along without them. I finally was able to respond to some of my around 500 emails with real information. People may not like my answers, but at least they are out of my queue. Maybe I should send everyone a follow-up e-mail after saying "your problem has been resolved." Just like the computer people do because in the Department apparently "resolved" means "not on my desk anymore."

But I actually hate that. It's like picking up piles of laundry and moving them from one part of the house to the other. It doesn't actually finish the laundry. Laundry is not "resolved" until it is washed, dried, folded, and put away. In exactly that order. Yes, children, I'm talking to you. Taking the clothes out of the suitcase and putting them on the floor is not unpacking. Neither is moving the clothes from the floor to the hamper. Although that is better than nothing, it is not "resolved." So do some laundry already! And honestly, the next time you ask me where something is and I say it is on the floor of your room and you go and can't find it and then I go into your room and pick it up off the floor and hand it to you, I swear I will spontaneously combust when you then say you never saw it!

Fire roasted marshmallows might just be better than brownies, but this video of Kristin Chenoweth really is. She called someone up out of the audience to sing a song from Wicked with her, and it turned into an awesome moment. Because the woman she called out of the audience not only loved Wicked and knew all the songs, she was a voice teacher, and man can she sing!


So kudos to you, Ms. Voice Rock Star Teacher! I hope this is only the beginning of good things to come. And I so admire your bravery for singing in public with one of the best Broadway singers ever. I could never do it. I'm awesome in the shower, though. I the shower, I defy gravity all the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment