Monday, December 2, 2013

Only a little smashed?!

Apparently if a Christmas tree falls in the middle of the night and no one hears it, the ornaments are still smashed. We woke up to find the Christmas tree completely toppled over. I shrieked when I saw it because who wouldn't be upset to find their beautiful 8 foot tree on the ground and half of the ornaments smashed. When I yelled, The Dog immediately flattened her ears and slunk off into a corner, so I'm pretty sure I know who the culprit is. She likes to drink the water out of the tree stand, so I can just see her knocking it over. Husband says she is a small dog and the tree probably fell over from exhaustion from having to hold up all those ornaments. To which I say hmph! You decorate your own tree then next year, Mr. Scrooge! But he at least helped me put it back up. We placed it in a bigger stand and are hoping it's more stable. We'll see, I guess.

So I went to Target tonight to buy a few ornaments to replace the ones which got smashed which of course were all my favorites including the Vera Bradley glass painted one and two of the manger scenes. And the ornaments at Target were all awful. I mean, I love Kermit and Animal as much as the next person, and maybe more, but no way will a hot pink Animal ornament go on my lovely cranberry  and gold tree.


And frankly, that doesn't even look like Animal. It's some sort of evil pink Grover in a Santa hat. It's all wrong. And believe me when I say this is the best of what was there. So tomorrow I'm going to Michaels to see if they can help. And sometime this week I will make it out to World Market to replace the ones I got from there.

So then we came home and Child 2 broke out in hives again. I know! This is the child that is supposed to not be a problem and there she is breaking out in hives all over her face. So I made her wash her pillow and she is starting a journal about what she ate and where she went when she breaks out because this is the third time in about a month. Speaking of Child 2 still, and how she is not supposed to be difficult, she is still obviously a child because I told her to make a list of things we needed at the grocery store and this is what was on it when I got to the store.

  1. Milk
  2. Chocolate chip mint ice-cream
  3. caramel sauce
  4. gluten free cereal
  5. rice pudding
  6. candy
I'm the one who made her add the milk and cereal. We're going to have a little talk about nutrition and "needs" and exactly why an all sugar diet is not a good idea, especially when we are already hyper about the holidays.

On a happier note, the annual Christmas Island crab migration has begun and it is better than a brownie.


Someday I hope to get to see this in person, but that would require more luck with bidding than I've had in the Department so far. But go little crabs! And watch out for cars.


3 comments:

  1. Ok, I would like to start off by saying that the hives are not my fault. Also, we got the candy for the packages we're sending to the missionaries on Wednesday. Finally, I've learned a lot about nutrition in health class recentley, and I'm not going on an all sugar diet. You told me to put ice cream on the list.

    Love,
    Child 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sweet Child 2, I know you're not going on a sugar diet. However, I only told you to put ice cream on the list *because you asked.* (Why can't I italicize in the comments?) And you neglected to explain about the caramel sauce. I'm not opposed to caramel sauce (I bought some, remember?) but I would like you to temper it with a few apples and/or grapes or something.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry the tree crashed! I was thinking how heartbroken I'd be to lose some of our ornaments. Seems silly to care about such little things but I know how important they are. How you find some lovely, non-pink Animal, replacements!

    ReplyDelete