Friday, September 6, 2013

A real pain in the arm

My arm has a tropical disease--specifically Yellow Fever since I had to get a vaccine for it yesterday. It is a live vaccine and my arm still hurts a day later and I have a huge welt that is hot and feels like a bee sting. It's painful to touch and rather red. However, this is supposed to be a normal thing and may be because I also got a TDaP booster, something for Meningitis, and am taking typhoid vaccination pills. For the typhoid pills, I got an orange rubber bracelet to remind me to take the pills. I've never gotten free jewelry with a vaccine before. This could be a new trend! But really, for all the pain the yellow fever shot is causing me, I deserve something much better looking than the orange version of a LiveStrong band.

Tonight I listened to a podcast from someone who was part of my past and it reminded me of some things I had forgotten. Here is a list.


  • How annoying that little blinking cursor was in DOS
  • How annoying DOS is. (Although that I kind of remembered because I currently have to regularly use a DOS-based system at work. And yes I realize it is 2013 and no one has used DOS for 20 years, but this is the federal government we are talking about and I am not kidding when I say we have no money.)
  • What it was like to actually dial a phone and have to watch it spin slowly. I hated phone numbers with 9s in them. Thank goodness it was back in the day when phone numbers were only 7 digits!
  • That we used to call the second phone in the house "the extension."
  • How annoying it was when the VCR would eat your tapes. 
  • How even though I can't figure out how to insert pictures into a bullet list, it is still much less of a pain than trying to type footnotes on a typewriter. Especially when this would keep happening.

OK, sometimes we tried to do that on purpose on my grandfather's because it was fun. Shhh. Don't tell him or I'll get in trouble. I kind of wish I had asked for his typewriter when he passed away. But I have his paperweights, and those might even be better.

The situation below is not better than a brownie.


This truck lost control and crashed into a house. Thankfully, no one was in the car parked in the driveway. Imagine that phone call to the insurance company. No, I wasn't driving, I was watching TV and this truck came flying into my living room. No, the car is not driveable. Yes, I will need a rental. And also a big crane to get the truck out of my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment