Monday, September 16, 2013

Mais Oui!

Child 3 is studying French. Child 2 is also, but that isn't why we had French food for dinner. We had French food for dinner because I couldn't think of anything to make because I was tired and not feeling well as usual. So of course when you're tired and not feeling well you decide to cook complicated cuisine. Actually, not really. What happened is that I was sitting on the couch looking through cookbooks unable to decide if the children were ready for creamy polenta with poached eggs and asparagus, and Child 3 got out her own cookbook which of course is French because it is based on cuisine from the movie Ratatouille. I love that movie. Love. It. I don't know what it is about a rat cooking and French music that makes a good movie but it does. And also it made my children like eggplant and mushrooms, so voila! One of my favorite movies ever.


So I looked at a couple of recipes and we had all the ingredients for Croque Monsieur, which is a grilled ham and cheese sandwich that you dip in egg batter before frying like French Toast (with gluten-free bread of course.) I guess that's why they call it "French Toast."


So I made them, and Child 1 wrinkled up her nose and said don't put any ham in hers and I said no. This is what we're having for dinner. And it was delicious. Really delicious. It was so delicious, it even made the gluten-free bread taste good which is really saying something. So delicious I forgot I'm not supposed to have cheese. And then I choked and it was not fun and my throat is a little raw. But we will make them again. Maybe next time with tomatoes. (And some soy cheese for me.)

These are better than a brownie. I can't afford them, so I will never have them, just like brownies. But oh, a girl can dream!


No comments:

Post a Comment